Issue a full or partial refund for a donation
Full or partial refunds to your donors are possible through Stripe.
Before You Get Started
- For nonprofits: Have you connected a new or existing Stripe account to Give Lively. It’s a required first step.
- For donors: This article is not for you. Please go to: How can I get a refund for my donation?
To issue a full or partial refund to your donors:
- Login into your Stripe dashboard.
- Go to the Payments Overview page and find the charge that needs to be refunded.
- Click the "•••" icon next to the charge and select "Refund charge".
- The default is a full refund, but for credit card charges, both full or partial refunds can be made. To issue a partial credit card refund, enter the amount to be refunded. For ACH payments, only full refunds can be made through Stripe dashboard. To issue a partial ACH refund, please reach out to Give Lively support by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Select a reason for the refund. If you select "Other", you must provide an explanatory note that is attached to the refund.
- Click "Refund" to finish.
While there are no additional fees to refund a charge, the fees from the original charge are not returned. If you have any questions, please refer to Stripe’s FAQ.
Follow the same directions as above.
Also of note: As of November 2020, donors have direct access to a secure Donor Portal through which they can cancel their own recurring donations.
At present, they are not able to update payment methods or edit the amount and date of recurring donations, although that functionality is coming soon.