Integrate our platform with Paypal, or disconnect from it
You can integrate PayPal with our platform, but only as an optional, additional donation-processing method and, at present, only for one-time donations. If you choose not to accept PayPal any longer, you can easily disconnect from it too.
Before You Get Started
You can add or disconnect from PayPal as an optional, additional donation-processing method. When you add it, it can't be the sole payment processor, since it can only be used for one-time donations. Thus, PayPal will only process donations when the donors' selected payment method is PayPal. All other payment methods (credit/debit, ACH etc.) will be processed via Stripe. In the near future, we will be adding the option to process recurring monthly donations too.
Keep in mind that while there is no cost to setting up a PayPal account, PayPal charges a small transaction fee to manage the donation process. This fee is subtracted from the donation.
This chart makes clear the fees associated with using PayPal:
To integrate our platform with PayPal
- Visit the Nonprofit Admin Portal, click "Organization Settings" in the menu on the top of the page and then "Integrations" in the tab on the left. If you don’t see an “Integrations” tab, visit members.givelively.org/integrations.
- Click the “Begin PayPal Integration” button.
- Enter your email address and select your country, then click the "Next" button.
- Log in to your PayPal account. If you don’t have one already, create one by clicking “Sign Up” and, on subsequent pages, filling out the required information about you and your organization.
- When you will land on a page that says “Thank You for Signing Up,” click “Continue to PayPal Setup” to complete your PayPal profile and authorize transactions with your bank account. Please note that PayPal donations will not be processed by Stripe or appear in your Stripe account.
- You must now click “Go back to Give Lively's Store” to return to the Nonprofit Admin Portal (see image below). The process is not complete until this is done. When it is, there should be a check mark and note that "Your organization can now accept donations through PayPal" next to PayPal on the Integrations page. If you do not see a check mark or the PayPal payment option on your fundraising page(s), contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
7. Only if you are creating a new PayPal account, visit your email inbox to find the message from PayPal and activate your PayPal account.
REMINDER: PayPal is currently only available for one-time donations and can't be the sole payment processor, as all other payment methods (credit/debit, ACH etc.) are processed through Stripe.
To disconnect from PayPal
- Visit the Nonprofit Admin Portal, click "Organization Settings" in the menu on the top of the page and then "Integrations" in the tab on the left. If you don’t see “Integrations” tab, visit members.givelively.org/integrations.
- Click the "Disconnect from PayPal" button.
- Click the red "Disconnect PayPal" button in the "Remove PayPal Integration" popup. It is an acknowledgement that you are sure you want to disconnect your PayPal account. Disconnecting will prevent you from accepting payments via PayPal, effective immediately.